Skip to main content

Called To Be Saints (Part One)




After arriving home from my last day of first grade, I announced to my parents how glad I was that school was finally over, and that I did not have to go back ever again. My parents’ expressions waxed blank. It took at least thirty seconds before one of them, my father I think, broke the news that I would have to go back that fall, after the summer was over. My joy had instantly turned to mourning.

“For how long?” I asked.
“For another year,” he said.

As difficult as that sounded, another year might not be too bad. I had made it through one. I could do it again. And then it would be all over. . . .

A thought came that nearly knocked the wind out of me.

“What about after that? Was there any more school after that?”
“Yes,” came the hesitant reply.
“Well, how long?”
“Twelve years. . . in all.”
“TWELVE!” I bellowed.

To a six year old (I started when I was five), that was like saying it would be a zillion millennia.

As one may correctly guess, when I approached graduation in my senior year, I did so with great joy and gladness. The word that was on everyone’s mind in my class was vocation. What were you going to do the rest of your life? This was 1966, and the Vietnam War was raging. Many in my class went off to war. As far as I can tell, only two died there (my graduating class was over eight-hundred), one of them ten days after he arrived. I went off to college. . . Bible college, in fact. In those days, unless you were in college, you were drafted. Many went off to college for that very reason, to avoid the draft. I did not. I went to Bible college because I had aspirations of becoming involved in the ministry. That trumped everything else in the world, and I had no guilt in being there. Looking back on it today, I know what I did was right, but I sometimes grieve deeply over the thought that others did go and paid dearly. They were not able to follow their vocational goals as I did.

The word vocation literally means, calling. When you talk about vocation you are talking about your calling in life, that is, What have you been called to do for a living? It is fascinating to me that the idea of a calling is bandied about by all men, believing and unbelieving, Christian and pagan, alike. They use the word to refer to what they want to do, are doing, or have done as their professional career. But they never stop to think that if one has a calling, it means he has been called, and if called, there is a caller. I wonder if the atheist Richard Dawkins ever considered who it was that called him to be a biologist. Perhaps he sees a danger in that and avoids the word vocation. I really do not know.

Several years ago, I taught a series of Adult Sunday School lessons through Philippians that took a year to complete. Looking back at my notes I saw that I spent some time on the phrase, “to all the saints in Christ Jesus,” recorded in Paul’s greeting (Phil 1:1). The concept of sainthood spurred me on to discuss the biblical notion of calling, for those who are saints are such because they are called to be saints (Romans 1:7; I Corinthians 1:1). A number of New Testament texts can be laid out to give us a rather clear idea of what it means for us who are ‘called to be saints,’ and over the next few weeks, we will consider these.

Today, consider 1 Cor 1:9 wherein we are told that we are ‘called into the fellowship of his (God’s) Son.’ To understand this fully would require a good deal of time on the meaning of fellowship. Suffice it to say that fellowship here and elsewhere has the etymological notion of sharing something in common, and semantically conveys the idea that two or more people are enjoying each other’s company because they are not at odds with each other, they are in agreement and harmony. They like the same things, have the same outlook, or to put it philosophically, they hold fervently to the same world-and-life view.

Light and darkness, righteousness and lawlessness do not have the same interests in mind; they are polar spheres, exact opposites; therefore, Paul asks rhetorically, What fellowship do they have? (2 Cor 6:14) There is none. John tells us that God is light and there is not even one particle of darkness in him. If we say that we have fellowship with God and walk in darkness we lie and are not doing (let alone not telling) the truth, 1 John 1:4, 5. Hence to be called into fellowship with Jesus Christ means to be called into a way of life that typifies the kind of life Christ lived, who exercised all the fruits of the Spirit in great measure, Luke 2:40, 52. Christ was sinless, perfect, and holy without measure. To be called into fellowship with him is to share in that freedom from sin and to walk in the light as he is in the light.

So, we must take a hard look at ourselves. Are we walking in freedom from sin? (Rom 6:1-14) Are we walking in his likeness? (1 John 2:6) Are we pursuing holiness without which no man will see the Lord? (Heb 12:14) This is not a calling to sinless perfection in the present evil age. Rather, it is a calling to make a conscious and continuous effort to be holy; and when we sin, to repent quickly and gladly, looking to our Advocate before the Father, Jesus Christ the Righteous who is the sacrifice that satisfies God’s justice for our sins, 1 John 2:1, 2.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Pastors Shouldn't Preach In Jeans (Especially Skinny Jeans)

By: Thomas F. Booher I can't think of a better way to get labeled a legalist than to title a post like this. Hopefully by the end you will not see this as legalism and will see this as what it is- my attempt at describing what I believe is proper ecclesiology as defined by God in Scripture. So then, what is church? What does Scripture say we should be doing and not doing on Sunday mornings? That's what I want to explore. The Bible says to gather together in Christ's name; to teach, encourage, and admonish one another; to sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs with thankfulness in our hearts to God (Heb. 10:24-25; Mat. 18:20; Col. 3:16). There are to be deacons (Acts 6:1-6) and elders (Ti. 1:5) in the church who act as overseers, and in the case of elders, are the shepherds of the flock who teach the word and rebuke with authority (Ti. 1:9).  God must call one to be a pastor/elder (Eph. 4:11). As such those who are called by God to preach the word are held to a

Luke Chapters 1-8 Sermon Outlines

  Luke 1:1-4 – Luke’s Orderly Account of Jesus Christ -- Sermon Outline Intro: Christians need an inspired account of the life and ministry of Jesus Christ.     Need: Luke gives such an account in his gospel, so that we may know Jesus and have faith in Him. Theme: Luke compiles an account of the ministry of Jesus:   I.      Accurately declaring what the apostles and other eyewitnesses had told him. A.      1:1 , Inasmuch as many have taken in hand to set in order [put together/compose] a narrative [declaration/accounting/narration] of those things which have been fulfilled among us              1.       It is clear that what Christ had done did not go unnoticed, as “ many ” have undertaken the great task of composing in written form a historical “ narrative” concerning Christ’s earthly ministry.              2.       “ have been fulfilled ” means accomplished, and the perfect tense indicates the fulfilling of these OT prophecies concerning Christ, who He is and what

Some Problems in the PCA (Presbyterian Church in America)

By: Thomas F. Booher NOTE: I posted what's below to Facebook on this day, December 6, 2016. I wanted to post this here for record keeping and so that it can have a more visible and permanent viewership for those concerned or wishing to be more informed about the PCA.  I would like to explain my love for and grave concerns within the PCA (Presbyterian Church in America), the denomination in which I am currently a member and have served as a ruling elder. The state of the PCA is, in my estimation, not a consistently conservative, orthodox, and confessional one. I believe it is in the midst of much compromise, and I do not think that the average lay person is aware of it. It grieves me to say these things. I wish they were not true. I grew up in the PCA, and until several years ago I was still under the delusion that all was well in this denomination, that it was, by and large, holding fast to the Word of God. I still believe that there are many