Skip to main content

God’s Grace in Reality



By: Nathan Fox
Text: Colossians 1:13-14

My Personal Life of Grace

I must start off by confessing that though it seems that I have my entire life in order and that my days are “peachy,” I am nothing more than a sinner saved by grace. As a matter of fact, those who read this blog and read all the good stuff these contributors provide should realize this: each blogger is sinful and only through God’s grace are we even given the platform to proclaim His name. Before any one of us is magnified, and before anyone reading this blog thinks that we bloggers are just perfect, we must all remind ourselves that God’s grace is the only reason why we can proclaim what we proclaim. He is the source of hope in our life, and the certainly the only good from this life stems from his incomparable love for each of us. So before you take the time to read this blog even further, remember this: I only write what I write because it is God who is good, and not myself. 

God’s Living Grace

Having said all that, let us now turn to the topic and verses at hand: Colossians 1:13-14. I purposely set these aside because in them I think we get such an accurate depiction of how good God really is and how dark we really are. Let’s look at the verses and then break them down. They say this: “He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.” Before we go further we must take note that these two verses are the entire crux of the Christian faith. These two verses answer all the major questions that anyone of us could have about the Bible and about Christianity. Don’t believe me? Take a look:

Who?- Humanity, broken and living in the power of darkness with no conceivable way of reaching light without some sort of divine intervention. In steps God through His Son Jesus, creator of the universe (look at the next few verses if you don’t believe me), and the only one who can save humanity from themselves. 

What?- Redemption. God has stepped in to save us from our wickedness so that we can be redeemed through His blood. Redemption in the purest sense of the word means “deliverance,” showing us that God has delivered us from something, namely our wicked ways. 

When?- Roughly 2,000 years ago on a cross and at an empty tomb. It is through Christ’s death, burial, and certainly His resurrection that we hang our hats on. These two verses mention His blood, setting us up to believe (and rightfully so) that through the shedding of blood there is remission for sins. It was His crucifixion 2,000 years ago that made this reality come alive for us today.

Where?- In our hearts. It is through His regeneration of our hearts and our consequential belief as a result that we have obtained the redemption offered only through Jesus Christ. 

Why?- Perhaps my favorite question to answer. God did all of this for this reason: He simply loves us. Look at the wording of the two verses again. He delivered us, conveyed us into the kingdom, redeemed us, and forgave us. Why would God do all of this other than the fact that He loves us? Oh what a glorious day when we take the time remember why He did all of this. 

Our Reaction to this Grace

Perhaps if you have read this blog for a time you have seen the Gospel presented in some way, shape, or form. That is good, but it can be easily looked over if we are not careful. I challenge all of us, Christians and non-Christians alike, to let the Gospel change us. Even as a believer who has heard the Gospel more times than I can remember, I should still live a life of reflection toward it. Its authenticity and relevance in my life should be evident in how I portray Christ through my words and actions. 

Oh how I need this  Gospel everyday! I am such a sinner, such a dark person. But thank God, who is so rich in grace and mercy, that He would love me enough to die for me. What a life I have now only because of Him! No longer do I live in the defeat of the endless cycle of my sin, but now I stand victorious because of His redemptive work in me. May He get the glory through His amazing Gospel, and may I and all of us never cease to remember how much He has done for us. The Gospel is alive, and it truly changes us to the core of our being. I challenge each of us to live in light of this fact. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Pastors Shouldn't Preach In Jeans (Especially Skinny Jeans)

By: Thomas F. Booher I can't think of a better way to get labeled a legalist than to title a post like this. Hopefully by the end you will not see this as legalism and will see this as what it is- my attempt at describing what I believe is proper ecclesiology as defined by God in Scripture. So then, what is church? What does Scripture say we should be doing and not doing on Sunday mornings? That's what I want to explore. The Bible says to gather together in Christ's name; to teach, encourage, and admonish one another; to sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs with thankfulness in our hearts to God (Heb. 10:24-25; Mat. 18:20; Col. 3:16). There are to be deacons (Acts 6:1-6) and elders (Ti. 1:5) in the church who act as overseers, and in the case of elders, are the shepherds of the flock who teach the word and rebuke with authority (Ti. 1:9).  God must call one to be a pastor/elder (Eph. 4:11). As such those who are called by God to preach the word are held to a

WHY OUR REFORMED DENOMINATIONS ARE DYING (or are already dead):

  By: Thomas F. Booher The short answer is the faithful Elders, as a class, failed to heed Paul's words to the Ephesian Elders in Acts 20:28-29, "Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood. For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock. Also from among yourselves men will rise up, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after themselves. Therefore watch, and remember that for three years I did not cease to warn everyone night and day with tears." False teachers rising from among the Eldership is not a surprise, it's a Scriptural promise. Hence Paul warns the Elders to keep watch, vigilantly, and take swift action. Nothing will poison churches, denominations, the Christian faith at large, worse than its leadership being run by savage wolves in sheep's clothing, by

Luke Chapters 1-8 Sermon Outlines

  Luke 1:1-4 – Luke’s Orderly Account of Jesus Christ -- Sermon Outline Intro: Christians need an inspired account of the life and ministry of Jesus Christ.     Need: Luke gives such an account in his gospel, so that we may know Jesus and have faith in Him. Theme: Luke compiles an account of the ministry of Jesus:   I.      Accurately declaring what the apostles and other eyewitnesses had told him. A.      1:1 , Inasmuch as many have taken in hand to set in order [put together/compose] a narrative [declaration/accounting/narration] of those things which have been fulfilled among us              1.       It is clear that what Christ had done did not go unnoticed, as “ many ” have undertaken the great task of composing in written form a historical “ narrative” concerning Christ’s earthly ministry.              2.       “ have been fulfilled ” means accomplished, and the perfect tense indicates the fulfilling of these OT prophecies concerning Christ, who He is and what