Skip to main content

Finding Time To Study The Bible When You're Busy



By: Thomas Fletcher Booher

I am privileged in so many ways. I have the privilege of studying books on theology and the Bible itself in a Bible college. Right now, studying the Bible and learning theology is my job. I have family and a wife who is helping provide food, shelter, and clothing. Yet even I, the one who believes he is called to be a pastor, doesn't read his Bible enough. Why is this?

Well, it is because I, and most of us, don't put Bible study at the top of our priority list. What do we put ahead of that? Usually work. Why do we put work ahead of Bible study? For some it may be because they love their job more than their Bibles, but for most it is because they think if they don't make work the top priority they won't be able to provide for themselves and/or their families. After all, doesn't Paul say he who does not work shall not eat (2 Thess. 3:10)?

Indeed, he does. But the question is not whether or not we should be working at all. Certainly, we should. Rather, the question is how much should we be working? The answer, I can promise you, is not so much that we don't have time to dedicate good hours to the study of God's Word each day.

What frees me to say this? Several things. Even in this economic recession we are still wealthier than about 95 percent of the people who have ever lived. If I am thirsty I don't wonder where I can get water, I don't even go outside and draw it from a well. I walk outside my bedroom door, shuffle a few steps into the kitchen, and turn on the faucet. Good, clean, pure water. Food? I turn and open the fridge.

We are in much greater danger of forgetting that God has graciously provided our food and water for us than we are in danger of going hungry or thirsty because we are wanting to know God more through studying His Word. And I have a much better assurance of this than simply the fact that we are wealthy people.

I have assurance from God Himself in His Word. His assurance allows us as believers to operate on a different timetable than the world does, especially Americans. Consider Luke 12:22-31

Then He said to His disciples, “Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; nor about the body, what you will put on. Life is more than food, and the body is more than clothing. Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds? And which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? If you then are not able to do the least, why are you anxious for the rest? Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. If then God so clothes the grass, which today is in the field and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will He clothe you, O you of little faith?
“And do not seek what you should eat or what you should drink, nor have an anxious mind. For all these things the nations of the world seek after, and your Father knows that you need these things. But seek the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added to you.

Jesus is speaking to people who had nowhere near as much financial security and rest as we do. We would be of the richest people of Jesus' times, the ones that Jesus accused of storing up treasures for ourselves on this earth rather than treasures in heaven. We would be rebuked for not being generous enough with our giving, and of being too concerned with making more money. This strikes close to home for us because frankly it is true of almost all of us. Few that read this will be able to in good conscience say, "That's not me, I have taken time out of work and making money to ensure I have time to study the Word and teach it to my family."

We need to have trusting, resting faith in Christ that when he says if we seek His kingdom first He will provide for our physical needs, that He means it. This doesn't mean don't work; it does mean seek first the kingdom of God. Make Kingdom living the priority. Make fellowship with the saints and study and thinking upon the things of God the work of your life, and then your job that earns money will be put in its proper place- and size. 

The freedom we have in Christ frees us from worry over physical things to focus on the spiritual needs that we have and to be generous to the poor and needy with our money and time. When we do this, we are storing up treasure in heaven, money in heaven that will last forever and not pass away when we die like all our possessions that we collect here on earth. Let us repent of our neglect of God's Word due to our sinful worry and anxiety of where our basic necessities for living will come from, and let us trust God to take care of us as we seek to live for His kingdom, righteousness, and glory.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Pastors Shouldn't Preach In Jeans (Especially Skinny Jeans)

By: Thomas F. Booher I can't think of a better way to get labeled a legalist than to title a post like this. Hopefully by the end you will not see this as legalism and will see this as what it is- my attempt at describing what I believe is proper ecclesiology as defined by God in Scripture. So then, what is church? What does Scripture say we should be doing and not doing on Sunday mornings? That's what I want to explore. The Bible says to gather together in Christ's name; to teach, encourage, and admonish one another; to sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs with thankfulness in our hearts to God (Heb. 10:24-25; Mat. 18:20; Col. 3:16). There are to be deacons (Acts 6:1-6) and elders (Ti. 1:5) in the church who act as overseers, and in the case of elders, are the shepherds of the flock who teach the word and rebuke with authority (Ti. 1:9).  God must call one to be a pastor/elder (Eph. 4:11). As such those who are called by God to preach the word are held to a

Luke Chapters 1-8 Sermon Outlines

  Luke 1:1-4 – Luke’s Orderly Account of Jesus Christ -- Sermon Outline Intro: Christians need an inspired account of the life and ministry of Jesus Christ.     Need: Luke gives such an account in his gospel, so that we may know Jesus and have faith in Him. Theme: Luke compiles an account of the ministry of Jesus:   I.      Accurately declaring what the apostles and other eyewitnesses had told him. A.      1:1 , Inasmuch as many have taken in hand to set in order [put together/compose] a narrative [declaration/accounting/narration] of those things which have been fulfilled among us              1.       It is clear that what Christ had done did not go unnoticed, as “ many ” have undertaken the great task of composing in written form a historical “ narrative” concerning Christ’s earthly ministry.              2.       “ have been fulfilled ” means accomplished, and the perfect tense indicates the fulfilling of these OT prophecies concerning Christ, who He is and what

Some Problems in the PCA (Presbyterian Church in America)

By: Thomas F. Booher NOTE: I posted what's below to Facebook on this day, December 6, 2016. I wanted to post this here for record keeping and so that it can have a more visible and permanent viewership for those concerned or wishing to be more informed about the PCA.  I would like to explain my love for and grave concerns within the PCA (Presbyterian Church in America), the denomination in which I am currently a member and have served as a ruling elder. The state of the PCA is, in my estimation, not a consistently conservative, orthodox, and confessional one. I believe it is in the midst of much compromise, and I do not think that the average lay person is aware of it. It grieves me to say these things. I wish they were not true. I grew up in the PCA, and until several years ago I was still under the delusion that all was well in this denomination, that it was, by and large, holding fast to the Word of God. I still believe that there are many