Skip to main content

Joy in the Midst of Troubles

By: Warren Chua


Charles Spurgeon wrote his last book suffering from “recurring depression, debilitating gout, and poisonous slander.” Yet, according to scholars, when you read his book, you will see much joy and peace in the Lord regardless of his current physical, emotional and spiritual pains. Even during his last days his acquaintances recall his “hearty laughter”, his humor in both his sermons and writings. This we can say, that Spurgeon was carried along by the Holy Spirit till the end of his ministry and ultimately his death in 1892.

How many of us would be quick to defend the self from the hurts and pains we received from others manifesting our bitterness and lack of joy in the Lord. But not so the man of God. The man of God recognizes the Majesty of our Lord even in the midst of troubles. And in recognizing God’s majesty, he is able to boast in his own weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon him (2 Corinthians 12:9).

Some Christians resist the weakness in them in the midst of troubles. Persisting attempts to take control and turn circumstances in relative subordination. But this displays ignorance of God’s divine sovereign power and thus deprives the true joy that is due in the Lord alone for His grace is sufficient.

“So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. ” – 2 Corinthians 12:7-9

Paul had revelations that no commoner has ever seen. A “thorn in the flesh” is the gracious requisite of such divine experience to humble the depraved heart. The Christian’s suffering is not a display of imperfection on God’s sovereign rule but a display of God’s perfect power and love to His child. We Christians suffer from our own “thorn in the flesh” but it is God’s gracious way of revealing to us that it is His grace that is sufficient for us and not our “surpassing greatness of revelations,” for God’s “power is made perfect in (our) weakness.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Pastors Shouldn't Preach In Jeans (Especially Skinny Jeans)

By: Thomas F. Booher I can't think of a better way to get labeled a legalist than to title a post like this. Hopefully by the end you will not see this as legalism and will see this as what it is- my attempt at describing what I believe is proper ecclesiology as defined by God in Scripture. So then, what is church? What does Scripture say we should be doing and not doing on Sunday mornings? That's what I want to explore. The Bible says to gather together in Christ's name; to teach, encourage, and admonish one another; to sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs with thankfulness in our hearts to God (Heb. 10:24-25; Mat. 18:20; Col. 3:16). There are to be deacons (Acts 6:1-6) and elders (Ti. 1:5) in the church who act as overseers, and in the case of elders, are the shepherds of the flock who teach the word and rebuke with authority (Ti. 1:9).  God must call one to be a pastor/elder (Eph. 4:11). As such those who are called by God to preach the word are held to a

Luke Chapters 1-8 Sermon Outlines

  Luke 1:1-4 – Luke’s Orderly Account of Jesus Christ -- Sermon Outline Intro: Christians need an inspired account of the life and ministry of Jesus Christ.     Need: Luke gives such an account in his gospel, so that we may know Jesus and have faith in Him. Theme: Luke compiles an account of the ministry of Jesus:   I.      Accurately declaring what the apostles and other eyewitnesses had told him. A.      1:1 , Inasmuch as many have taken in hand to set in order [put together/compose] a narrative [declaration/accounting/narration] of those things which have been fulfilled among us              1.       It is clear that what Christ had done did not go unnoticed, as “ many ” have undertaken the great task of composing in written form a historical “ narrative” concerning Christ’s earthly ministry.              2.       “ have been fulfilled ” means accomplished, and the perfect tense indicates the fulfilling of these OT prophecies concerning Christ, who He is and what

Some Problems in the PCA (Presbyterian Church in America)

By: Thomas F. Booher NOTE: I posted what's below to Facebook on this day, December 6, 2016. I wanted to post this here for record keeping and so that it can have a more visible and permanent viewership for those concerned or wishing to be more informed about the PCA.  I would like to explain my love for and grave concerns within the PCA (Presbyterian Church in America), the denomination in which I am currently a member and have served as a ruling elder. The state of the PCA is, in my estimation, not a consistently conservative, orthodox, and confessional one. I believe it is in the midst of much compromise, and I do not think that the average lay person is aware of it. It grieves me to say these things. I wish they were not true. I grew up in the PCA, and until several years ago I was still under the delusion that all was well in this denomination, that it was, by and large, holding fast to the Word of God. I still believe that there are many